Opresseder than thou

K d-m-c at worldnet.att.net
Sat Nov 21 17:23:36 PST 1998

Henry,

A friendly suggestion re conceiving of language and mirrors:

"The ability of a mirror to reflect is conditioned by its opacity"

You can figure it out for yourself or wait for the movie.

I'm sorry about the burden of the sexist culture and language that you carry about in your knapsack of oppression/privilege. I understand, though, truly I do.

But, I do hope that this doesn't mean that you can't learn to see me as an equal and that you might eventually learn to refrain from patting me on the head and saying "there, there little girl." I do sometimes enjoy that, though only in role playing situations. We shall have to work out some sort of signal and safe word to let one another know when that might be.

It is also unfortunate that you feel that criticism and dialogue are the enemies of solidarity. I, quite frankly, find them very productive and generative. Indeed, I wouldn't even hesitate to say that they enrich and nourish the body of marxist thought in ways that are indescribable here, given the limitations of time and space presented by email.

However, always one to adhere to the wishes of my superiors in good self-effacing fashion, I would like to ask if I could be your helpmeet in your endeavor to silence the voices of dissension and discord on this List. Thus far, I would note several distinct trends on this list that might prove mighty dangerous for maintaining solidarity in the struggle. Several of our Listers, unfortunate ignorant subjectivities that they are, believe that it is important to talk about and raise the concerns of what they might consider historically oppressed groups: Blacks, the white working class, women, native American Indians, lesbians/gays/bisexuals/transexuals, the disabled, and uhhhh lets see...oh yeah, neuroscientists. Oh I'm sure that I left some groups out, but sometimes my silly little head just can't hold all this information. So, I hope you'll forgive me and bear with me. I'm learning.

And, even though these folks would maintain that marxist thought might be improved were it to consider and address the concerns of these folks, let me just say that I'm absolutely convinced of the need for absolute solidarity without a hint of dissension, discord, difference.

Honestly, I don't know how I could have been so dense as to have not seen the light before you so kindly did me the favor of smiling warmly on my silly little head

Yours in struggle, SnitgrrRl, humble, cowed, averting her eyes from the Great One