JUST WHAT IN THE HELL IS GOING ON?

Rob Schaap rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au
Sat Nov 21 22:12:52 PST 1998

G'day Paula,

>Does anyone know if any of Gore's remarks were about the people in the
>streets railing against the "bosses"? Or was it a complete sham, focusing
>only on the one guy, who is probably not the hero of those people, since,
>from what iI understand, he was a real cheerleader for neo-liberalism.
>Anybody got a clue on the real nitty-gritty.

Put me down as one who reckons he was merely bemoaning Mahathir's currency controls - if it transpires (over the rather scary months that confront the world) that Malaysia is now better protected against some new hot-money exodus than are those countries who have not moved to protect themselves - well, it might start something not at all in keeping with our betters' globalism prescriptions, eh?

And Anwar is a much more reliable neo-liberal globalist than that suddenly nasty ol' tyrant Mahathir ...

Cheers, Rob.