Fwd: American Bioethics Advisory Commission Demands...

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Nov 23 10:25:42 PST 1998

> Jim wrote:
> > That is true but I would be more impressed if the Church had similarly
> > stood up against the murder of Jews, Gypsies, communists, gays
> > etc. as well. Since in fact both the Catholic and Protestant churches
> > were not only avid supporters of Hitler's election as chancellor in
> > 1933 but remained strong supporters of the regime long afterwards
> > perhaps Marta can forgive me if I seem less than impressed with
> > the humanitarianism of the German clergy.

Jim,

Sure I can forgive you if you can forgive me for being less than impressed with "voices from the left" on the Nazi atrocities when they omit disabled people like the following quote from Martin Neimoeller:

"In Germany, they came first for the communists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a communist.* Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me and by that time no one was left to speak up.

Martin Niemoeller

*As eloquent as Niemoeller is, to be historically correct he needed to include, "Then they came for the disabled, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't disabled". That is why I dedicated my book to the hundreds of thousands of disabled people left out of history.

Marta Russell