Hybrid Marxism (1)

William S. Lear rael at zopyra.com
Tue Nov 24 04:50:38 PST 1998

On Tue, November 24, 1998 at 00:19:48 (EST) JKSCHW at aol.com writes:

><< Doesn't anyone remember
> Charles A. Beard's An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution
> (1913), which presented a strong argument that the Constitution was
> drafted by a basically self-serving elite? >>
>
>Yeah, but the scholarship of the book is pretty thorough discredited. Forrest
>MacDonald, a conservative but a good historian, pretty much demolsihed it in a
>book called We the People back in the 50s. The conclusion is probably partly
>defensible, but not Beard's argument.

MacDonald did no such thing. MacDonald is to History what Krugman is to economics. Beard's argument is quite tenable. A pair of scholars recently reviewed the evidence and found Beard's claims to be well supported. It was a journal whose name escapes me. I'll retrieve and post it later.

Bertell Ollman edited a book called *The United States Constitution* which has some relevant pieces in it.

Bill