In These Times-Hi Alex C.

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 25 19:37:43 PST 1998

>They're part of that whole Dissent/In These Times clique that worships
>the likes of Irving Howe and Michael Harrington

Alex, I don't get this. I subscribed to ITT for many years, and I don't recall them having anything nice to say about the Democrats, or Clinton. I also got Dissent, but like Monthly Review I hardly ever read more than one article. For some reason, the book ones didn't grab me.

And isn't Irving Howe the guy with the bow tie. I never thought of him as left. Wasn't he on network tv?

Huh. pms

ps. I did go to a DSA meeting presided over by John Lewis, before he'd been quite so co-opted by his leadership position. He was cool though. He was the only one in the room who didn'tget frreaked out cause I said every one should boycott the next years MLK corporate bullshit parade. Never went to another meeting though.