Abuse of power

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Sat Nov 28 07:44:50 PST 1998

Being banned from Louis Proyect's Marxist list is my first personal experience in electronic tyranny. And it prompted me to visit the home page of the list to seek a constitutional basis on Louis's action, for suddenly abstract issues of freedom and ownership take on reality. As expected, I discovered self contradicting statement in the declaration of purpose and ground rules on the home page:

Louis wrote: "While strong and vigorous debate is encouraged, there is an absolute determination to prevent the list from dividing along "Bolshevik" and "Menshevik" lines. These distinctions are utterly meaningless in cyberspace, where nobody is required to connect their ideas with practice." Yet in closing, he wrote: "Our discussions are meant to facilitate intelligent action in the real world, not replicate the sort of chit-chat that goes on in academic conferences."

Which fork should one follow without contradicting the other?

I suppose the irony is that even a list on Marxism must claim its sacred right of ownership by exercising the owner/moderator's absolute right to include/exclude participants and topic at his pleasure and command. Yet, even under the rules of market capitalism, a license to own and operate media does not include the right to denial equal access. CBS cannot ban anyone arbitrarily without violating FCC regulations. I suggest that Louis Proyect misunderstood his owner/moderator rights. A list, once launched, is the property of the participants. The moderator's role is merely housekeeping. It is highly unbecoming, let alone moral, for a moderator to declare by executive fiat, that a topic has exhausted its usefulness and is hereafter banned and that those who dares to mention it again in any context would incur unspeakable penalties. Two participants were summarily banned for insubordination, with only vague forewarning in which the word ban was never mentioned. Even Microsoft recognizes the benefit of a tolerant environment for creativity. Has a intellectual Reign of Terror begun? For those of you still in good standing on Louis's list, better line up in a row like good little ducklings, or else.

Henry C.K. Liu -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/19981128/9b846a87/attachment.htm>