Brazilian unemployment

Tom Kruse tkruse at albatros.cnb.net
Sat Nov 28 20:56:32 PST 1998

Michael:

Dunno about the source or calc. of the Brazil figure. However, from tangling with such topics here, the following comment. Where bustling informal sectors exist, unemployment figures mislead. Underemployment -- the inability to reproduce labor power on available wages -- is a much worse problem. Here, we did an exercise to fold "undermployment" into and "unemployemnt" figure, to give folks a wake up call. Unemplyomet, stricly defined, runs about 3-6% here, one of the lowest figures in South Am. But if you look at total wage bill and distribute it at a level that allows people to eat and sheler themslevs, and call the rest "unemployed", the number jumps to about 30%. Might there be a similar thing going on with Brazilian figures?

Tom