Geezers vs. Children in Poverty & Yo, Henry

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Sat Nov 28 17:56:31 PST 1998

>John K. Taber:
>Paula, I hope this isn't the generational war, affluent geezer argument
>put forth by the Cato Institute and the Concord Coalition.
>
>Without Social Security, about 52% of the elderly would be living
>below poverty levels. Even with Social Security about 12% (I think
>it is) still live in poverty.
>
>In other words, Social Security has been largely successful in the
>social goal of keeping the old out of poverty.
>
>Now, the fact remains that about 20% of our children live in
>poverty. That is a crime. But you don't want to argue that the
>success of a social program causes that crime.

John,

Point taken. No I wasn't meaning to support the greedy geezers arguement. Just sloppy.

I was just reacting to my thoughts of these people who are so "worried" about over-burdened workers, who in my mind, are also the people who couldn't care less about the children of the country, and would cut off even the meager funds provided, at any opportunity.

In my mind, the reality behind both these bogus arguements, is a bunch of criminals with shrivaled souls who want to create a society based on an 'every man for himself, and if you can't cut it, you deserve to die' model.

Thanks for clearing this up. I wouldn't want anyone to think I supported that stuff.

BTW, speaking of geezers and greed, one night in '93, I was at a LWV gathering to educate people on the various types of Health Care reform. It seemed obvious that the organizers were partial to a Single-Payer solution.

When the idea of rationing came up, it was something to listen to many of these elderly, and, it seemed, financially comfortable folks, discussing the costs of end-of-life medical practices, and concluding that this was probably the best place for cost savings, and that they could live with that, so to speak. These people were more concerned about a good system for all than with heroic medical intervention that might extend their own lives. No greedy geezers in the room that night, just compassionate, caring elders.

Personally, I'm for rationing folks ability to buy $500.00 wallets and cigar humidors.

Barely literate, but well-meaning- pms

Ps. Henry, do what I do. I avoid actively moderated lists like the plague.

And I hope Doug won't freak, but I must tell you, Louis has tried to get people off this list too. I think sometimes he's having a bad day. IMHO, you should just get over it and continue graceing us with some very interesting posts.