The International

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Sat Nov 28 18:40:41 PST 1998

On Sat, 28 Nov 1998, Doug Henwood crossposted from a bounced post:

> While I realize that not everybody on the LBO list is an avowed "marxist,"
> those who are "marxist" are having the same arguments about who is a
> "marxist" as their forbears one and two generations before them. They are
> citing the same texts, and preparing the same outrages for one another.

No we're not. Global capitalism is a very, very, *very* different beast from the monopoly and national capitalisms which preceded it. Our texts today include the post-structuralists, the Frankfurt School, Jameson, Eagleton, Bourdieu, Spivak and many, many others. The thought that nothing, after all, has changed, that a ruling class still rules and that capital continues to grind people into the mire, becomes conservativizing where it does not acknowledge the possibility, however faint, of the historically new: new forms of art, new forms of politics, a whole new European Union, and countless other social transformations, cultural resistances and scientific-technological revolutions underway on this very, very small planet. The past is prologue, said Shakespeare, who was wise enough to leave the future to the future...

-- Dennis