Assassination of General Schneider

Sat Nov 28 17:47:00 PST 1998

>It must be remebered that general Arturo Schneider, the former
>commander-in-chief of the Chilean Army, was kidnapped and murdered by
>unknown criminals as early as 1969 for refusing to lead against a coup
>against Salvador Allende _before_ he was inaugurated.

I thought that General Schneider had been assassinated by soldiers working for ex-General Roberto Viaux and General Camilo Valenzuela, whom Richard Helms at the CIA--ordered by Nixon to prevent Allende's presidency by any means whatever--had shipped weapons to and bribed in the belief that if Schnedier were "removed" the Chilean military might stage a coup before Allende's inauguration...

Brad DeLong