Rap,HipHop, and Class

Maria Gilmore Maria.Gilmore at gte.net
Sun Nov 29 07:20:53 PST 1998

One of the interesting stories I've heard bandied about regarding rap, esp. gangsta rap, is that most of the performers, promoters, labels, etc, consist of middle-class- background types, like Eddie Murphy and Spike Lee. This is besides the fact that they they tend to move to exclusive neighborhoods once they make a pile of money; the reality is, most of these people aren't any more "from the streets" than I am.

Nelson George has a new book out on the history of rap I'm looking for now. He's not especially political, but he wrote a book a few years ago that was very critical of the homogenizing of black pop so as to crossover into mainstream commercial success.