Pinochet and the work of re-membering

Tom Kruse tkruse at albatros.cnb.net
Sun Nov 29 18:41:58 PST 1998

Dear Listeros:

Chris Burford wrote:

> ... I would like to hear comments, expecially with
>information, about the concrete balance of power in Chile at the moment.

The "Pinochet and bourgeois democratic right" thread has sadly had almost nothing to do with Chile. Though I feel a bit alone in this, I'd still like to talk about the Pinochet case. Why? It has everything to do with how the Latin American left is fighting over the meaning of the past and confronting the problems of the present.

[To get the "big picture" on this, see the very good Sept/Oct. 1998 NACLA issue entitled "Unearthing Memory: The Present Sturgle over the Past", which explores how Chilenas, Uruguayans, Guatemalans, and others are "attempting to challenge forgetting on its own terms by opening up the past to reinterpretations in order to expose distortions and amnesias of Latin America today."]

To answer Burford's request laterally: A while ago I posted a very powerful missive from a Chilean entiled "Pinochet Must Pay For His Crimes -- It's Something Personal". The author explained in detail his detention, torture, exile by Pinochet. Written originally in English, a month later he published it in Spanish in Chile. [If anyone would like a copy, let me know off list and I'll send it on.] He mentioned to me that it had caused something of a commotion in Chile. I asked Why? Aren't such stories common in Chile? Here is his response:

Tom Kruse Casilla 5812 / Cochabamba, Bolivia Tel/Fax: (591-4) 248242 Email: tkruse at albatros.cnb.net