Demographics of Aging Population

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Mon Nov 30 13:54:46 PST 1998

John,

Try any textbook on economic development. This is the classic "demographic transition." For that matter try any textbook on demography. Or any textbook on economic geography.

All I could find quickly on my shelf is the rather-out-of-date but once widely used, _Economic Development_ by Benjamin Higgins, 1968, W.W. Norton. On p. 45 there is a diagram of the "demographic transition" with the death rate dropping first and the birth rate dropping later. This pattern was documented earlier in Kingsley Davis, "The Amazing Decline of Mortality in Underdeveloped

Areas," _American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings_, May, 1956, p. 314.

A quick glance at the latest World Development Reports suggests that the pattern holds as I scan data on individual countries. It is such an entrenched fact that nobody even bothers to remark on it anymore. Barkley Rosser On Sat, 28 Nov 1998 17:48:19 -0600 "John K. Taber" <jktaber at onramp.net> wrote:

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu