RY COODER, LEFTIST?

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 30 18:23:40 PST 1998

> You must be quite a guitar player to attend a
>workshop with Cooder! Dunno much about Boz Scaggs other than he owns a good
>blues club in 'Frisco called "Slim's". Is that the same Roy Buchanan, the
blues
>picker who died in jail? I suspect the reason that Cooder et.al. don't
have any
>"hits" is the lack of commercial airplay. Cooder stuff just gets played on
>college and public radio stations.....kinda like classical music. Cooder
strikes

Hi, Samanderic, you scamp,

Back up there son, I just sat and watched. He also did a public set. I also saw him with the Chicken Skin tour. Modesty is right, the only thing wrong with Cooder is I always want to highjack the sound board and turn his mic up. He and his wife were very gracious when we spoke to them.

Anyone know Cooder's politics. On his first couple of albums he sure does a lot of stuff, sympathtic to working class. "One Meatball" and "I Got Mine", etc.

Boz Scaggs, who had a hit or two, late 70's I think, had some really tasty stuff on Columbia, years before. You could find them in cut-outs. Do they still have those with CD's? One was Moments, another I have is just called Boz Scaggs and Band, I think. Haven't realphabetized since I got re-turntabled.

I only have one album by Buchanan. In the early 70's he was a legend among players in the Tacoma/Baltimore area, from what my friends told me. Supposedly he played at The Crossroads bar near there, great, dramatic player, and when he saw other players in the audience watching him, he'd turn his back. Story goes, he turned down the Stones after their guitar player died. He does blues, but not just blues. Don't know about jail. I kinda doubt it.

>Most of our
>culture theorists have fallen under the peculiar spell of Andrew Ross and are
>forever babbling amongst themselves about the subversive nature of Madonna or
>the "genius" of Disney and Eisner.

Who are these people and who gives them money?

I am a lifelong blue-collar worker,ex-logger
>and started working in sawmills when i was 15 here in the Pacific
Northwest and
>am no snob.My current incarnation is line cook/sous chef. The price of one
plate
>of my Gnocchi costs twice as much as I earn in one hour. Never been to
Atlanta
>on my many Kerouacesque journeys in the U.S. The furthest I made it in the
>south was New Orleans.
>Sam Pawlett.

I hope you work in a fancy place. The Gnoochi is only $10.95 where I work.

Have you been to the Heritage Fest. in New Orleans? If not, let me know and I'll tell you all about it.