Christmas Boycotts

Tom Lehman TLEHMAN at lor.net
Mon Nov 30 18:42:03 PST 1998

Dear LBOers,

My pal John, often described as" John Gotti in a pink tuxedo", gets to Wal-Mart at 5:15 am so he can get some of these furbies to give away as prizes at our union's breakfast with Santa this coming Saturday. The way John tells it, the line was four abreast and the people were lined up down the sidewalk in front of the store. By 6:05 am the line snaked back across the front of the store and to the other end of the Wal-Mart parking lot. When the doors opened, people forgot the line and just charged the doors. What did John get? John didn't get_____. John was also p.o.'d at one of our other pals, little Richard a/k/a Senor Dick, who said he would meet him at 5:15am at Wal-Mart and then didn't show. I had to listen to this tale of woe this morning. So Doug, Max is mellow compared to my morning ear beatings.

The local UFCW worthies have been picketing the local Super K-Mart for at least 3 years now, night and day, I admire their tenacity. What some of the sharper UFCW guys tell me is that they would like to go after Wal-Mart in a big way. Wal-Mart is getting into groceries just like Super K-Mart and this is bread and butter for the UFCW. If they lose groceries they lose it all.

As far as the steelworkers go I think we should go after these big box home and building supplies like Lowes, Home Depot and Builders Square etc. I don't know if you've ever been in one of these places, but, the people who work there do serious labor and run serious pieces of equipment for $6.00 an hour.

Sincerely, Tom L.