Fwd: Re: Rap,HipHop, and Class

Alex LoCascio alexlocascio at juno.com
Mon Nov 30 12:53:10 PST 1998

On Mon, 30 Nov 98 22:28:26 -0500 Christopher Niles <cniles at ricochet.net> writes:
>When I was in High School in Los Angeles in the early 80's there were
>only several "white" recording artist considered worthy of play on Black

>radio stations--Steely Dan, Boz Scaggs, Tina Marie, Michael McDonald and

>a couple of others whose names are not coming to mind at the moment.
>Steely Dan ranked the highest by far.

Maybe that's because Steely Dan's lyrics are so fucking brilliant. Bleak, desperate, nihilistic parables of urban paranoia dressed up in sunny jazz-pop harmonies. Talk about yer "irony." Steely Dan were "postmodern" before it became fashionable.

Okay, okay, so this is REALLY outside the limits Doug has set for the list. I'll stop now.

No marigolds in the promised land there's a hole in the ground where they used to grow any man left on the Rio Grande is the king of the world, as far as I know

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]