clarification on futures contracts

Picciotto, Sol s.picciotto at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Oct 1 02:03:38 PDT 1998

I think Greg gives a mistaken and unhelpful way of looking at futures contracts. Each deal is a separate contract, not the original contract being handed on between new parties. The vast majority are closed out simply by a payment of difference, no delivery of any goods takes place. In the case of many financial futures, e.g. stock index futures, delivery is not possible. Futures contracts are a form of gambling, let's face it, and they had to get legislative approval to be enforceable, which under most countries' laws a straight bet is not.

cheers

sol