the downside of the Greens

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Thu Oct 1 03:57:41 PDT 1998

Doug wrote:
>Could you, or anyone else, say more on this? Some details on policy
>positions and the demographics of the Green support?
Just a little bit on the positions of the german Greens and in what respect they are to the right of the SPD: - Pensions: The outgoing government decided on a cut in future pensions. The Greens agreed their should be some cuts. The SPD promised to reverse the already decided cuts. - Taxes: The Greens want to reduce the tax rate on the higest incomes to 45% percent. The SPD is somewhat unclear om this issue, but it seems Lafontaine is more in favour of a 49% rate. This issue is a highly symbolic one, because every percent of reduction serves as an indicator how far the specific party one to make concessions to huge income earners and the bosses. Tax on property ( Vermoegenssteuer ). The election platforms of both SPD and Greens proposed to reintroduce it. But in an interview with Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung the spokesperson on fiscal issues argued against a reintroduction. (Source FAZ oct. 1st). Tax on petrol: The Greens want to increase this tax considerably. I doubt whether this is a progressive measure, because it will hit primarily woking-class people, who need a car to get to work. In the end it means the Greens are arguing the consumption of working class people is too high. Any comments on this one from others on the list? Johannes