Asian Clarification

Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu
Thu Oct 1 13:54:33 PDT 1998

Thanks Doug for the Clarification. Its pretty clear that the Japanese recession cannot be the equivalent of 10% as claimed by the economist. Otherwise there would be considerable labor unrest because Japan doesn't have unemployment insurance at least to my knowledge.

To clarify my earlier point I don't think a strong social safety net in poorer countries would solve all problems relative to economic development in SE Asia. But it would provide a floor under the level of misery.

--mike

-- Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu Work: 677 Beacon, Street, Rm313 Boston, Mass 02115 Home: 25 Stearns Rd, #3 Brookline, Mass 02146 Tel-Work: 617-353-9484 Tel-Home:617-734-8828 Tel-FAX:617-353-7755