Social and Economic Well-Being by Race and Hispanic Origin

Fellows, Jeffrey jmf9 at cdc.gov
Mon Oct 5 11:27:00 PDT 1998

I'm familiar with Pappas's work. I'll will look for the article in my files. By the way, mortality is much easier to connect to low SES than is morbidity. But as an additional note to my previous response, it is important to note that SES not only increases incidence and prevelance of adverse health conditions, it also is a moderator of the effects.

Jeff

---------- From: Doug Henwood

It was an article by Gregory Pappas et al, which I used in my State of the USA Atlas, but unfortunately I mangled the reference and the full cite is missing in the notes. The excerpt I used in the graphic was:

DEATHS OF PEOPLE AGED 24-65 BY INCOME AND RACE

income <$9,000

-------------- black men 19.5 white men 16.0 black women 7.6 white women 6.5

income >$25,000

--------------- black men 3.6 white men 2.4 black women 2.3 white women 1.6