fwd: Re: The upside of the downside (economic analysis)

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Wed Oct 7 12:21:04 PDT 1998

--- Begin Forwarded Message --- Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 15:04:43 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) From: "Rosser Jr, John Barkley" <rosserjb at jmu.edu> Subject: Re: The upside of the downside (economic analysis) Sender: owner-pkt at csf.colorado.edu To: POST-KEYNESIAN THOUGHT <pkt at csf.colorado.edu>

Greg,

Interesting piece. But I would not count the evidence on the closed-end country funds for anything. The Mexico fund showed a premium before the peso tanked. The closed-end funds show opinion of idiots in New York. The asset values show the opinions of insiders in the country. Who should you believe (duh).

As a matter of fact, closed-end funds are in general one of the notorious "anomalies" of modern financial economics. A paper in 1995 in the Journal of Financial Economics by Jeffrey Pontiff showed that one can beat the S&P 500 by buying and holding deeply discounted closed-end funds and one can lose relative to the S&P 500 by buying closed-end funds showing premia. In theory, closed-end funds ought equal the net asset value minus some transactions costs, tax losses, and minor other stuff, equal to about 5-10% discount on average.

BTW, this list's own Brad De Long had a paper in the Journal of Economic History awhile ago that documented the emergence of massive premia on domestic US closed-end funds in 1929 before the crash, definitely a bubble there. Since 1929, most US closed-end funds have tended to run discounts of varying amounts.

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu

--- End Forwarded Message ---

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu