Henwood on Keynes

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Oct 7 15:27:58 PDT 1998

>>You said procapitalist AND elitist, implying
>>separate deficiencies. How is Keynes the
>>text elitist, as opposed to Marx?
>
>Of course Marx's texts are hard to read, if that's what you mean,>

No. Keynes is not always a walk in the park either.

< but they couldn't be any other way, could they? I'm talking about social philosophies - Keynes was a elitist - his economy would be run by people like him, like there are many of those - and Marx wasn't.>

But Marx didn't say much about how his economy would be run, no? The axe I'm quietly grinding is that in tone Marx is just as overbearing in his own way as Keynes, but that in neither case did this have much to do with the content of their work.

Keynes' explicit association with bourgeois democracy does not look so bad compared with Marx's, in the sense that Marx seems either non-committal, vague, or naive about the political implications of "proletarian dictatorship." I reiterate that I don't see the latter as fatal to Marx's work, which was mostly about other things.

MBS