Proportional Representation.

Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu
Thu Oct 8 08:07:32 PDT 1998

Paul Henry Rosenberg wrote:

> JKSCHW at aol.com wrote:
>
> > In a message dated 98-10-05 17:13:44 EDT, you write:
> >
> > << Hell, even Poland and the Czech Republic, with per capita GDPs of
> > one-tenth of America's, have more modern political systems (run on
> > proportional representation) than we do. Meanwhile, the US continues to
> > stumble along with its 18-century first-past-the-post electoral system, as
> > if nothing has changed since the days of the thirteen colonies.

Paul, you managed to convince me, tentatively,that this is a much better system of representation. Now let say we believe this how do we get this enacted. Since its your argument we are backward on this score and how did this get enacted in the more "advanced countries". Who proposed this who were the opponents and what struggles were involved.

--mike -- Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu Work: 677 Beacon, Street, Rm313 Boston, Mass 02115 Home: 25 Stearns Rd, #3 Brookline, Mass 02146 Tel-Work: 617-353-9484 Tel-Home:617-734-8828 Tel-FAX:617-353-7755