Chomsky and Adam Smith

michael perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Sun Oct 11 17:41:50 PDT 1998

Tom Lehman asked:

> Any comment about Chomsky's revision of Adam Smith. Is that too hot of a topic for
> the pros?

Few professional economists read Adam Smith, instead they usually quote previous economists who quote Adam Smith -- and usually out of context. Chomsky, I am afraid, has read Smith, so his reading is different from that of most economists. I have recently completed a book, The Invention of Economics, in the course which I try to explain what Adam Smith said. I find no reason to differ from Chomsky.

By the way, winner of Frank Riggs's congressional seat, which the pie thrower ran for, will go to a former student of mine, Mike Thompson. He used to fix my tractor for me and his wife would baby sit for my daughter. -- Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University Chico, CA 95929

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu