Chomsky and Hero Worship

Mike Yates mikey+ at pitt.edu
Sun Oct 11 18:04:41 PDT 1998

Friends,

I'm not sure what Chomsky said about Adam Smith. Of course, Smith is not the libertarian some of his modern advocates think and he did think that businessmen were ordinarily up to no good from the society's point of view. But his view on the detailed division of labor is ridiculous as he confuses this with the social division of labor. He does admit that people who do detail work are as stupid as it is possible for human beings to be. But then he recommends education for the poor saps, in homeopathic doses! Plus if I remember correctly Marx suggests that he is something of a plagiarist. In any event, if I were a worker I'd put my trust in Marx not Smith.