Jameson & "capital"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 13 07:17:15 PDT 1998

Thanks to all who enlightened me on Kroker.

Dennis R Redmond wrote:

>Fred Jameson once said around 1991 or 1992 or so that
>critical theorists ought to avoid two words: "power" and the "body", and
>replace these, wherever possible, with "capital" and "class".

But in FJ, these are completely abstract concepts. He took Bob Fitch to task in his recent NLR article for putting some flesh on these names, denouncing Fitch as a hack conspiracy theorist for daring to suggest - based on lots of work in the Rockefeller archives - that The Family shaped the development of New York City. (I mean, it's only the area surrounding Rockefeller Center, in a state once run by a Governor Rockefeller, that Fitch is talking about.) Am I missing something in Fred's conception of "capital" and "class"? Or does he actually have any idea of the people, social relations, and institutions involved?

Doug