Jameson & "capital"

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Oct 13 07:24:26 PDT 1998

>But in FJ, these are completely abstract concepts. He took Bob Fitch to
>task in his recent NLR article for putting some flesh on these names,
>denouncing Fitch as a hack conspiracy theorist for daring to suggest -
>based on lots of work in the Rockefeller archives - that The Family shaped
>the development of New York City. (I mean, it's only the area surrounding
>Rockefeller Center, in a state once run by a Governor Rockefeller, that
>Fitch is talking about.) Am I missing something in Fred's conception of
>"capital" and "class"? Or does he actually have any idea of the people,
>social relations, and institutions involved?
>
>Doug

Speaking of Jameson, I want to strongly recommend Perry Anderson's latest, titled "The Origins of Postmodernism". The book started out as a preface to collected writings of Jameson, but it became too big. What I find interesting in what I have read so far is Anderson's careful research into the first usages of the word postmodern. It seems that poet Charles Olsen was one of the first to use the word in the context of his leftist, Melvillian, Mayan eclectic world-view. One of the things I enjoy about Anderson is his ability to drawn in a wide panoply of information when writing about something like this.

Louis Proyect