Ormerod on LTCM

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Tue Oct 13 23:24:08 PDT 1998

I have just caught Paul Ormerod presenting an interesting crtique of events at LTCM. He argued that it is in the nature of economic models that they can work well repeatedly and then suddenly go awry. This would explain why LTCM was not protected by the presence of Nobel prize winners in finance.

Ormerod has emphasised the relevance of chaos theory in his book entitled, (I think I recall correctly) The Death of Economics. Although the occurence of occasional chaotic phenomena is a strong incentive even for capitalists to abandon neo-liberal dogma about the benign working of the free market, I am not clear whether Ormerod is right in attributing the LTCM problems just to the unpredictability inherent in chaos theory. Surely from a marxist point of view, one would argue that with the expansion of credit as the business cycle moves ever higher, there is an increasing probability that somewhere a break is going to occur, which will cause a chain reaction. Could this be factored into the equations?

Chris Burford

London