Evolution of FED thinking--humor

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Oct 14 09:05:22 PDT 1998

Chuck Grimes wrote:

>Since we had had these conversations about software and OS systems
>before, I ask if the Fed was a real bank, you know with money
>downstairs. Sure enough. So how much? About 3.5-4 billion in cash and
>another larger some odd billion in coin. Now, that perked up my
>ears. So, what happens when us grotty prols get our hammers and
>sickles and march over with torches to break down the door? Is some
>rent-a-cop going to stop us or join us? Well, see, this is the new
>electronic age and the Fed is directly tied into the entire city,
>state, and federal armed police grid, so us greasy prols might get in,
>but we won't get out--alive. I got the impression that everything from
>tear gas to F-16's could be deployed in less than half an hour. Well,
>provided the modems worked (ha, ha).

A week or two ago, a couple of folks told me about security at the New York Fed - and it's all because of the cash, truckloads of cash. The guards are intensely trained, and are sent off for refresher courses every 3 months or so. There are shotguns stored all over the building, and the guards are under shoot-to-kill orders. The entire building can be sealed off in 10 seconds - all doors outside will lock, and gates throughout the building will slam shut, compartmentalizing the thing. And that's before they even get the chance to call in reinforcements.

Doug