A note on the American century (not what you think)

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Wed Oct 14 06:27:59 PDT 1998

Dennis R Redmond wrote:

> The Euro-Nippo-Century would be accurate, but it sounds like
> the kind of hairstyling accessories that get sold on late night TV. Maybe
> Europacific is better, or even Europac. Which sounds like the vacuum
> cleaners that get pitched right after the hairstyling accessories slot.
> The future ain't what it used to be.

Dennis is predicting World War 3. While a profound change in relative productive strength has always (I think) been the context within which hegemony shifts among "world powers," that shift *also* has never been achieved without the preponderance of military strength shifting, and that shift cannot be merely on paper, it exists only in its practice.

Will the U.S. ruling class surrender military supremacy to Europe (or some other bloc) merely on the basis of a computer simulation of such a shift in power? I doubt it.

To follow up this line of speculation (and taking Dennis's prediction seriously demands that we do) would reveal beyond a shadow of a doubt that speculation about the global future beyond the next decade (possibly beyond the next 6 months) is foolishness.

Carrol