history of word

Wed Oct 14 16:30:40 PDT 1998

Didn't Dostoyevsky write a novel entitled _The Idiot_ ?

How about "philistine" ? Isn't that an ancient anti-Palestinian ethnic slur from the Bible that Marx and Lenin picked up to refer to narrowminded, petit bourgeoisie in the cities who thought they knew the best, but didn't ? People with faux knowledge.

CB

>>> James Devine <jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu> 10/14 5:16 PM >>>
I remember that when I took Ancient Greek History when I was an undergraduate, the students started laughing when the prof. referred to the Cretans. He corrected us: the word "cretin" has nothing to do with Crete, said this very conservative prof. (Donald Kagan). No, it's from the early French word "cretien," which means Christian. Also the name of some fellow in Canada, I understand.

>>I don't have the patience right now to look up the exact history of the
>term
>>*idiot*, but I know it in general. In Greek *idiotes* (sp?) meant
>something
>>like a private person, a person who did not take part in the collective
>>(political) life of the *polis* and was therefore (as we can see from
>>Arisotle's use of *political* [I forget the Greek]) "not all there, not
>>fully human, incomplete."

Also, I think Jim and Hobsbawm are right below. Marx was talking about the _sociological_ idiocy of rural life, where the peasant families tended to very isolated from each other, encouraging a very individualistic outlook. (Sounds like L.A.!) Marx thought that people in the city, especially workers in factories, were more able to unite in a sustained way, a necessary condition for their liberation. Peasant rebellions, on the other hand, tend to be temporary, followed by a return to individualism. People like Barrington Moore picked up on this, arguing that peasant revolutions are likely to establish some other group (likely an urban one) as the new ruling class. (See his SOCIAL ORIGINS OF DICTATORSHIP AND DEMOCRACY.)

Jim Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu & http://clawww.lmu.edu/Departments/ECON/jdevine.html