De Long in WSJ

James Baird jlbaird3 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 16 11:31:04 PDT 1998

I was peruseing my beloved WSJ this morning, hurrying through the front section so I could get to the Weekend Journal (to find out what $30 bottle of wine that husband-and-wife team is recommending this week), when lo and behold:

> Bradford DeLong, an economic historian at the University of
>California at Berkeley, explains the debate to his students this way:
>To Mr. Friedman, an exchange rate is a price; therefore, it is an
>infringement on human freedom to peg it. To Mr. Mundell, an exchange
>rate is a promise; to change it is to default on a commitment.

Our very own Mr. Delong, called up to the bigs! Too bad you didn't merit one of those funky line drawings...

Jim Baird