MPRI Investment Opportunity

James Baird jlbaird3 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 16 11:14:44 PDT 1998

>I also tell my undergrads to stay away from volunteers here. The best
way
>to impede good relations with communities here is to be pegged as a
Corps
>member. They also do all the typical gringo crap: flaunt wealth, talk
too
>loud in English, dress like slobs (folks here have never understood why
>people with money would choose to look like shit), and do drugs.

This brings to mind the early Tom Hanks movie "Volunteers". My favorite scene from the movie has Hanks (playing an upper crust Bostonian who joins the Peace corps to escape a gambling debt) getting off the plane in Thailand and telling the Thais crowded around him, as he holds up handfuls of money, "Yes, that's right... Rich American!"

Jim Baird, who's mind is a pop-culture wasteland...