GrrRl Power

K d-m-c at worldnet.att.net
Sun Oct 18 14:06:58 PDT 1998

Doug wrote:

>That's just the point. They represent girl power
as the
>Thatcher-sympathizing assumption of cliched babe
roles scripted by others.
>What's feminist about that?
>
>Doug

But, but Doug. I thought you recognized at least *some* progressive potential in identity politics a la Judith Butler. I mean I recall you saying, after you read her latest, that you could see some good points but that, in the end, she just seemed to refuse to elaborate a way to, paraphrasing, "put one foot in front of the other" so to speak. So, could we see some *potential* for undermining those stereotypes precisely by playing them to the hilt with a kind of in-yer-face Thatcherite Babe Persona designed to get folks to challenge their assumptions about what it means to be a woman? Or somesuch. Anyway, Paul, the eight year old boys like the Spice Girls, too. At least, my son and his friends did when they were eight. Now, they're 11, so fagedaboudit!! (Is that how you spell it, NY style?) And, more to the point, as I recall they had some pretty radical understandings about women and grrRl power at the time. Something about how girls were tougher than boys, or at least one of the Spice Girls looked tougher. The conversation also went into the idea that girls were smarter than boys too. Hmmmm.

SnitgrrRl