GrrRl Power

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Oct 18 19:38:53 PDT 1998

K wrote:

>But, but Doug. I thought you recognized at least
>*some* progressive potential in identity politics
>a la Judith Butler.

Oh but Judy herself destabilizes notions of identity, a la the Lesbian Phallus, but anyway, the Spice Girls don't have much to do with JB. How is their citation of the iconography of babe-hood the least be subversive? You could argue - I wouldn't, but you could - that Madonna's citations of such are destabilizing and/or subversive, but Ginger, Posh, and Baby? Please.

Doug