The End of Welfare as We Don't Know It

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 19 07:55:44 PDT 1998

Max Sawicky wrote:

>> . . . Note how good WW II was for profits, though they were taxed at
>their highest rates ever, peaking at 55% in 1943. If taxes had been that
>high in early 1998, the government would have $182 billion more revenues.>
>That, plus $250b out of the Pentagon, could finance a pretty generous
>public health insurance system, Max.>
>
>No it wouldn't. I noted in a previous post total
>U.S. health care costs are over $800 billion. If
>you rolled in all the medicare/medicaid money, you
>still might be short.
>
>Also, "$250b out of the Pentagon" would leave about $20b.

Not a bad idea, though I confess I was working with a remembered pricetag of $300b. How 1992, sorry. So let's leave them with about 1% of GDP, or $80b, taking out about $190b. We're talking serious money here, a long way from your assertion that soaking the fat boys couldn't really finance much. Tax 'em, disarm 'em, and heal the sick. I know that this isn't like falling off a log, politically speaking, but the problem isn't a lack of money - it's who has all the money.

Doug