more right-wing radio

Sun Oct 18 21:24:10 PDT 1998

Re:

>Max Sawicky wrote:
>
>>Actually this was included as an item in an article
>>Summers did for the New Republic, with a title along
>>the lines of "ten good taxes" or somesuch. So it
>>wasn't exactly a secret.
>
>Oh, I see. An unsigned edit in The Nation is a political appropriation, and
>one by LS in Peretz' rag isn't.

Well the date might have something to do with it... A piece in Peretz's [REDACTED] before one is in the government...

vs.

A mention after one is Under Secretary of the Treasury, keenly aware that one's country owes on net $1 trillion and that one's administration is counting on a capital inflow of $200 billion a year to give the U.S. a chance at an investment-led recovery, and desperate to avoid having your name linked with anything that might make the people who have $1 trillion invested and are investing $200 billion more slightly unhappy...

Brad DeLong

P.S.: Don't underestimate the sloppiness of Republican opposition research. They confirmed Alan Blinder to be Vice Chair of the Fed without a whimper, after all, even though sitting right smack in the middle of a book he had written in the mid-1980s was an extended metaphor about how inflation was like a cold, unemployment like a lobotomy, and that no sane person checks into the hospital for a lobotomy when you have a head cold... (instead you take aspirin and decongestants: tax-based income policies, moral suasion, centralized wage bargaining, and so forth).