Talkin Social Security

Tom Lehman uswa12 at lorainccc.edu
Mon Oct 19 10:30:23 PDT 1998

Dear Max,

I think it's wonderful that you went all the way out to Colorado to talk to a bunch of "utes" and some old timers about social security. Personally, I find traveling to be a real drag and do it only under duress. When I do go. I only drive. That way at least I get to see somthing of the country, and, you can stop and see things of interest.

Speaking of "utes". Whenever I talk with young workers, and, I hate that term young workers. ( It's sort of like saying the kid is going to be sentenced to work night turn in a convenience store or reform school a/k/a boot camp for life.) Anyway, I'm yet to be told that privitizing social security is a good idea by any "utes". This I have noticed regardless of the "utes" educational attainment or aspirations. This maybe because of our privitization=bad ; way of expressing the issue. Of course union men tend to come across like Rowdy Roddy Piper. Being big and ugly does have its advantages.

Getting back to this "workers" rhetoric. One of my pals loves to use this "workers" rhetoric when he campaigns for union office. I mean he really gets into it. One day some years ago we were up at the blast furnace gate campaining and I was introducing him to people coming in and out of the gate. My pal was all cranked up and talking about how he was going to do this and that for the workers. One of my friends from the BOP shop on his way into work, stops and chats. He says to my pal, "... I dunno about all this worker stuff , how about us loafers."

Here in Ohio, Republican senatorial candidate George Voinovich is talking about removing social security from the general budget. I know you have written about this,and, although you and I disagree on the names the substance of the arguement seems to be the same. Did you hear any of this in Colorado?

For press coverage did you consider wearing a cowboy hat and fringed jacket. I sure you could come up with some creative way to put it on your expense account.

Sincerely, Thomas Lehman