Talkin Social Security

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Oct 19 11:57:06 PDT 1998

Tom,

>I think it's wonderful that you went all the way out to Colorado to talk to
a bunch of "utes" and some old timers about social security. Personally, I find traveling to be a real drag and do it only under duress. When I do go. I only drive. That way at least I get to see somthing of the country, and, you can stop and see things of interest.>

Thanks, but it wasn't quite that altruistic. I did get some speaking money plus expenses. I also do free stuff, BTW. I'm not totally mercenary, but if I'm going to be away from my family and the group has dough, they have to pay to see my face.

> . . .
Anyway, I'm yet to be told that privitizing social security is a good idea by any "utes". This I have noticed regardless of the "utes" educational attainment or aspirations. This maybe because of our privitization=bad ; way of expressing the issue.>

That's good to hear. In front of an upper middle class group, class war rhetoric doesn't do much for you.

>Of course union men tend to come across like Rowdy Roddy Piper. Being big
and ugly does have its advantages.>

Don't I know it.

> . . .
>Here in Ohio, Republican senatorial candidate George Voinovich is talking
about removing social security from the general budget. I know you have written about this,and, although you and I disagree on the names the substance of the arguement seems to be the same. Did you hear any of this in Colorado?>

No. That option wouldn't be so awful, relatively speaking. The kids were into investing. They want to play the market. There is more difference, I would say, between privatization with individual accounts, and privatization by means of a separate Trust Fund that owned stocks and bonds, then there is between the status quo and the separate Trust Fund.

>For press coverage did you consider wearing a cowboy hat and fringed
jacket. I sure you could come up with some creative way to put it on your expense account.>

In light of the glaring ommission of my presence, I could have immolated myself and still probably not gotten a notice. Or they might have written, defender of Social Security realizes he is in error and decides to end it all.

Cheers, MBS