definition of poor

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Mon Oct 19 15:31:17 PDT 1998

Picking up on s.o. else's comments about traveling in the 3rd world defining one as rich. Some years ago when I was still under the crushing $45k of debt that I earned in grad skool I was at a friend's house in Syracuse (he's on the faculty). I was envious of his obvious well-being but I noted that because I had a car and ate when I was hungry and was warm when it was cold that I was doing very well by world historical standards, even tho' I was living in a 1 bedroom kinda crappy place in Albany and struggling to make ends meet.

My friend's response: "Here we don't go by world historical standards. We go buy Syracuse faculty standards. By that standard, we get to own our own house."

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298