Adjuncts

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Tue Oct 20 11:28:24 PDT 1998

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Frances Bolton (PHI) wrote:
>
> >Actually, I think adjuncts are a notch down from TAs.
>
> Yeah, at Yale, if I'm remembering right from a year ago, the TAs got about
> $5,000 per course and the adjuncts $2,500.

So at USF and Yale TA's are paid by the course? Is this a humanities thang? When I was in grad school (chemistry, state uni), TA's were paid a flat rate within a discipline for the academic year. Sometimes you taught 1 upper level course, sometimes two freshman course per semester. Sometimes you had the job of overseeing the teaching lab(s) for the semester. Sometimes you bought your freedom with a grant money (typically from your advisor). But everybody got the same flat rate. My ex-wife's department (psychology -- in the school of sciences) paid less than mine, but they used the same scheme. The two other grad programs in town that I looked at had the same policies.

Joseph Noonan jfn1 at msc.com