random walk

Wed Oct 21 08:23:45 PDT 1998

See Angela Davis' discussion of the feminism of Black women blues singers, including Billie Holiday, despite the partial victim themes in some songs. _Blues Women and Black Feminism_ (Ma Rainey, Bessie Smith and Billie Holiday) Speaking on her book here last spring, Angela addressed the point discussed here. She said she was co-teaching a course on feminism with someone who questioned the feminism of blues singers who are complaining about getting beatup or abandoned by men. Angela said, "but usually by the end of the song the women are strong , have recovered and are ready for the next leg of life." Also, she pointed out that there was a taboo on discussing domestic violence and that the blues singers were among the very few talking about it at the time.

By the way, I know Justin is a blues afficionado. He once sent me a copy of his tape of Ma Rainey and other blues singers. ( I sent him a copy of an Angela Davis lecture on Blues and Black Liberation) I think he knows his blues. However, I think if one listens to a lot of these women singers, the feeling is of their strength and , as Angela hypothesizes, subversive daring, including feminism, rather than victimization. The total process of the blues is a transcendence of dog eat dog, alienated existence under racist, male supremacist capitalism.

Charles Brown

Black is Beautiful

>>> <JKSCHW at aol.com> 10/20 10:26 PM >>>

<< Why can't we get these girrrls to listen to Loretta Lynn or Chrisie

Hyde or

>Etta James,now those are feminists. It just breaks my heart.

And where does Billie Holliday fit into this?

Bad show. Victim feminism. "He beats me too." --jks