Guilt, Shame and Coercion plus a little Gramsci (Re: Intellectuals and working class movements

K d-m-c at worldnet.att.net
Wed Oct 21 08:20:45 PDT 1998

>The simple answer is, yes, if the choice is
honoring the picket line out
>of embarassment or crossing it, I go with
embarassment.

I knew that you'd say this Nathan and I'm glad you did. Because in some moments, I'd agree. Though for the long term I think it's detrimental to our goals. Anyway, don't have time to respond in much detail, but eventually I will. I would *really* love to read thoughts on coercion and Chuck's fears re the state --yours and anyone else who cares to contribute. This is something I wrestled over as i drove to and from work yesterday, after I wrote the post to you. I've wrestled over it before and I'll say that I tend toward your views on some level--at times --when I feel like it.

Do you think then that coercion through violence is acceptable and if so when?

But I have promised to attend to Chuck and Doyle. So it may be awhile 'for I jump back in.

Snit