Gay sex stats by class

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Fri Oct 23 00:36:44 PDT 1998

I thought I would check the excellent demographic survey of "Sexual Behaviour in Britain" 1994, Penguin. Wellings, Field, Johnson, Wadsworth (all women). Total sample size 18,000 plus. Stratified by class etc. Of whom 8,300 plus were men, of whom only 6% admitted to any sexual experience with other men. 88% of this subgroup, at the time of interview, being in heterosexual relationships.

The main weakness is that their figures for homosexual encounters, as they say, should be taken as the lower end of the probable range, for methodological reasons. (Some of their initial questions were asked face to face.) Plus the fast moving nature of behaviour on sexuality.

Using British state definitions of class I to V

Of men reporting any homosexual contact ever in their lives as a pecentage of the total for that "class"

9.5% I and II (Upper class and professional, loosely)

5.2% III Non-manual

3.2% III Manual

4.7% IV, V, and other (not known)

So the rate of this report may be at least double among the capitalist or upper "middle class".

No simplistic implications suggested!

Chris Burford

London.