Gay sex stats by class

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 23 03:09:01 PDT 1998

Chris's warning to avoid simplistic explanations of the figures below is is well made, not least because of the ambiguities of self-reported statistics.

But it is worth bearing in mind the argument of John D'Emilio that the possibilities of homosexuality only really open up with market cosmopolitanism and the emergence of a non-familial sphere of life.

In message <3.0.2.32.19981023083644.01031e2c at pop.gn.apc.org>, Chris Burford <cburford at gn.apc.org> writes
>I thought I would check the excellent demographic survey of "Sexual
>Behaviour in Britain" 1994, Penguin. Wellings, Field, Johnson, Wadsworth
>(all women). Total sample size 18,000 plus. Stratified by class etc. Of
>whom 8,300 plus were men, of whom only 6% admitted to any sexual experience
>with other men. 88% of this subgroup, at the time of interview, being in
>heterosexual relationships.
>
>The main weakness is that their figures for homosexual encounters, as they
>say, should be taken as the lower end of the probable range, for
>methodological reasons. (Some of their initial questions were asked face to
>face.) Plus the fast moving nature of behaviour on sexuality.
>
>Using British state definitions of class I to V
>
>Of men reporting any homosexual contact ever in their lives as a pecentage
>of the total for that "class"
>
>9.5% I and II (Upper class and professional, loosely)
>
>5.2% III Non-manual
>
>3.2% III Manual
>
>4.7% IV, V, and other (not known)
>
>So the rate of this report may be at least double among the capitalist or
>upper "middle class".
>
>No simplistic implications suggested!
>
>Chris Burford
>
>London.