EC's Duisenberg as capitalists' heartthrob

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Mon Oct 26 13:12:47 PST 1998

Here's another quintessential New York Times Week In Review comment I thought I'd share with folks who don't spoil their Sunday mornings reading this stuff. This particular article yesterday -- "Europe's Back, and It's Worried" -- noted that Europe is suffering from "reform fatigue" (i.e., electing a lot of leftists) but counseled readers not to worry; the new European Central Bank can veto any wild-eyed leftist right into the ground. Here's how the NYT put it:

"... why are the currency markets so sanguine? The answer is that politicians do not control the new central bank. And the bank's president, Wim Duisenberg from the Netherlands, is almost typecast for the role of the gruff banker who doesn't let politicians push him around. A big man with piercing blue eyes and a shock of white hair, Mr. Duisenberg has thus far refused to budge on his policies and has perfected a curmudgeonly scowl that projects wonderfully over television."

Nothing like a "curmudgeonly scowl" to set the currency markets' hearts racing!

Carl Remick