What Chomsky wrote in self-defense

Wed Oct 28 09:27:14 PST 1998

I think this Nation letter shows how badly Chomsky has muddied the waters. On the one hand, he defends his right to defend Faurisson without careful analysis or indeed any knowledge of what he has actually written (an admirable and justifiable position); on the other hand, he attempts to reassure us that Faurisson supported the good fight against the Nazis while correctly underlining that it is irrelevant to the civil liberties issue. But having made the parenthetical comment, Chomsky now makes it impossible to determine whether his defense of free speech is absolute or whether he thinks in the case of RF free speech win outs because of the little actual danger RF represents as he is not a real fascist or war criminal (indeed according to Chomsky he is a Jew sympathizer), or does not control the media. I can understand why people would be outraged by Chomsky's lame attempt to reassure us that RF is no real danger, and perhaps they then confused their opposition to Chomsky's irrelevant comments with opposition to his brave defense of civil liberties. But in my reading Chomsky is as much to blame for the confusion here.

I still don't understand how Faurisson was building his Holocaust denials into his lectures on French literature. Professors are not allowed to teach whatever they want; their courses have to be approved, right (I am not a professor)? For example, a prof once told me that the relevant committee would likely not grant him permission to teach only three volumes of one damn book (Marx's Capital in a geography course) for a whole semester. Why was RF given approval to deny the Shoah in a course on French literature? How did he fit it into such a course?

>courageously against Nazism" in "the right cause"). I even wrote in 1969
>that it would be wrong to bar counterinsurgency research in the
>universities, though it was being used to murder and destroy, a position
>that I am not sure I could defend.

It surely would not be wrong to deny such research, however it was dressed up, any and all funding (there are better ways to spend it); it would surely not be wrong not deny it a scientific imprimatur. For example, what are we to make of Yale mathematician Serge Lange's argument that Samuel Huntington's math was not of sufficient quality to allow him entry into the National Academy of Sciences? Seemed like a reasonable argument to me.

best, rakesh