Friedman gets pied

Jamie O'Keefe jamie_okeefe at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 30 06:28:00 PST 1998

>>I met a woman who had just graduated with an economics major. I asked
>>her if she had read any Doug Henwood or James Galbraith. She hadn't
>>even heard of them. MF was the man in the Econ dept of her school.
>>Anyone, is this the norm for most schools? Is this a silly question?
>>
>>-Alec

Boston University is not much better. I cannot attest to the Ph.D. program, but the MA Macro class was primarily about growth theory, with a good amount of monetarist (Lucas, et. al.) research. Micro was better, but I cannot say that the perspective included too much outside of neo-classical economics. The labor and environmental classes I took were very good and offered other perspectives, but combined, I do not think that they ammounted to half of the number of students as were in the money and banking course. The development course was good as well, but offered a primarily neo-classical viewpoint. Asia was still riding high when I took the course, so there was a great deal of focus on long-term growth, rather than short-term stabilization.

peace

Jamie