The Doctrine of Inevitability

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Tue Sep 1 13:36:07 PDT 1998

Mark, instead of being due to rearmament, wasn't the post-war uptick in accumulation a function of the destruction *caused* by the rearmament, hence generating the write-down or devaluation of overaccumulated K that still represents a necessary precurser for a new upswing even today?

But I agree that the new regime of accumulation required to set things right isn't immediately on the horizon (though some folk have argued that Japan can become a hegemon once its economic deadwood is cleared). What are the regulationists who posited a post-fordist mode saying now? My doctoral supervisor (your favourite, David Harvey) wrote in 1989, in The Condition of Postmodernity, that the flexible regime was embryonic but potentially there, but he was never too convinced about that. I haven't followed the regulationists more recently... what's their story about the way forward?