The Doctrine of Inevitability

Mark Jones Jones_M at netcomuk.co.uk
Tue Sep 1 12:13:41 PDT 1998

Patrick Bond wrote:

> Mark, instead of being due to rearmament, wasn't the post-war
> uptick in accumulation a function of the destruction *caused* by the
> rearmament, hence generating the write-down or devaluation of
> overaccumulated K that still represents a necessary precurser for a
> new upswing even today?

Oh, I suppose both things are necessary and inevitable. They need to kill what, a billion folks? And write off most of Asian productive capital? But there has also to be a material basis for the uptick, otherise we'd have been staggering against the ropes like in Wells' film 'Things To Come' (1936) where WW2 ends in 1967 amid general despondency and simian gloom.

Without US production growing 4x 1941-45, tho, what hope would there have been for a postwar boom?

How are things in the SACP, BTW? DEBATE seems to have dried up.

Mark

Mark